Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
Interested in learning more about Invisalign clear aligners? Read the answers to our most frequently asked questions, or send us a new one!Request a Consultation
- What is Invisalign?
Invisalign clear aligners are a series of customized plastic trays that fit over your teeth, correcting their placement without traditional braces.
A personalized treatment plan will be developed based on the results from our 3D computer imaging technology and your individual needs.
This plan will inform the design of the customized Invisalign trays, each created to fit your teeth precisely during each stage of your treatment process.
- How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign clear aligners will cause your teeth to move in small increments during your treatment. Each aligner is intended to be worn for about 20-22 hours a day for two weeks before it is replaced with the next aligner in the series.
This process continues until your teeth are in their corrected positions. The length of the Invisalign treatment process will be determined by your dentist.
- How long does Invisalign take?
The length of your treatment will be determined by your individual needs.
Determinants affecting the length of treatment include the degree of misalignment in your teeth or jaw, your bite, and the extent of movement required to achieve the desired results.
- What are Invisalign aligners made of?
Invisalign aligners are made with USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins, and are BPA-free.
- How often do I have to visit the dentist?
There are no adjustments required for Invisalign treatments, patients just switch to a new set of aligners every two weeks. Therefore, you will only need to see your dentist every four to six weeks for a brief appointment to review your progress, answer any questions, and modify your treatment, if necessary.
- What are the primary features of Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are:
- Subtle, clear and discreet
- Comfortable to wear with a smooth profile
- Removable for eating, drinking, brushing and flossing
- Bracket and band-free, and do not require regular adjustments or tightening
- How much does Invisalign cost?
Your unique needs will determine the length and cost of treatment. The more severe the misalignment, the more aligners will be required to correct your bite, contributing to the treatment cost.
Invisalign treatment, in most cases, is comparable to traditional orthodontic methods, such as braces.
- How will Invisalign fit my lifestyle?
Most people find that Invisalign fits comfortably into their daily lives. There is very little social impact as they are clear, low-profile, and hard to detect.
There are no dietary or oral hygiene restrictions as the aligners can easily be removed for eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing. However, it's important that they are worn for 20 to 22 hours every day to be effective.
- Are there any food or drink restrictions?
No, there are no dietary restrictions as you are able to remove your aligners to eat and drink. This means you won't need to give up the foods you love! As Invisalign can stain, it is recommended that you remove them before having beverages such as coffee, wine, or dark sodas.
- How many sets of aligners will I need?
Based on your initial assessment and the severity of your case, your dentist will determine the approximate duration of your treatment and the number of aligners required.
- Can adults use Invisalign?
Yes! Anyone with healthy teeth and gums is a potential candidate for Invisalign clear aligners.
Adults are seeking orthodontic treatment now more than ever with the advancements of subtle and versatile options like Invisalign.
- Can teenagers use Invisalign?
Absolutely! In fact, Invisalign Teen was specifically created to address the unique orthodontic concerns of teenagers.
Invisalign Teen offers several features that will help teens stay on track with their treatment, such as compliance indicators that show when aligners have been worn for two full weeks. They also include stageable eruption tabs that allow space for the growth of second molars.
- How often do I have to change my aligners?
Your dentist will determine how often your aligners will need to be switched, but typically patients will change aligners every two weeks.
- How do I clean my aligners?
- You should rinse your aligners every time you remove them to clean off any dried saliva and plaque that could cause dental decay and bad breath.
- Use a cleaner, such as Retainer Brite, Invisalign cleaning crystals, or denture cleaner to soak your aligners regularly.
- It's very important to maintain good oral hygiene habits during your Invisalign treatment. Be sure to brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners back in to remove any trapped food debris and bacteria that can become stuck between your teeth and aligner. This will help to reduce the risk of developing dental problems and bad breath.
- You can use a clear, anti-bacterial soft soap to keep your aligners clean, clear and free from bacteria. Brush them gently to avoid scratching, and rinse.
- Can I play sports with Invisalign?
Yes, you can remove Invisalign during sports and other activities to avoid damage and continue a healthy lifestyle. However, the aligners will need to be worn for 20 to 22 hours a day, so be sure to consider this when planning your time.
You may also want to consider investing in a sports mouth guard to offer protection during sporting or other high contact activities.
- Can I play my instrument with Invisalign?
Yes, as Invisalign is easily removable, you can take your aligners out to play your musical instrument, then replace them when you are done.
Yes! You can remove your aligners to practice playing your musical instrument, and put them back in when you're done.
- How do I store my aligners?
Whenever you need to remove your aligners, you should store them in the case you received them in. This will protect your aligners when they are not being worn.
Can't find the answer you're looking for?
We'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
New Patients Always Welcome
Contact our Calgary dental office today to get started on the path to great oral health.Request An Appointment
LocationGreen Plaza Dental Centre
- Monday: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Tuesday: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Wednesday: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Thursday: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Friday: 08:00 am - 03:00 pm
- Saturday: 08:00 am - 03:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed